Cuneo Tower Palace
Amongst the Piedmontese hills, the Langhe and Roero, there lies Cuneo, a city with the ideal atmosphere to spend a holiday filled with history and gastronomic specialities. One of the most interesting spots in Cuneo is certainly the Palazzo della Torre, an important monument in the historic city centre, surmounted by the Civic Tower. Despite the fact that for over two centuries it has no longer featured on the city's coat of arms, the Tower is still considered one of the most representative symbols of Cuneo and its inhabitants: a majestic building 52 metres high, overlooking the Palace and offering a splendid view.
There are many legends about its creation, dating back to different times. One of the oldest documents preserved in the municipal historical archive witnesses that the base of the tower already existed before 1240, as it is told of the use of the bell's sound to summon the town council and of a second, larger bell built in 1547. Other documents also testify to the presence of a prison chamber, probably located on the ground floor of the Tower, which could be accessed through a trap door on the ceiling. The Town Hall suffered a fire in 1627 that spread inside the Tower, breaking and causing the two bells to fall. But the restoration in 1730 brought everything back to normal, giving it the dimensions and shapes that can be seen today.
According to tradition, however, the construction dates back to 1317, the year of peace between the city and Mondovì: it was King Robert of Anjou who ordered its construction after the truce of 15 June.
Today the building is visited by people from all over the world: the city can be easily reached with a flight to Cuneo and the wonderful panorama can be discovered booking a guided tour visiting the top of the tower. It is possible to observe the streets, squares and roofs from the bell tower, enjoying one of the most iconic views of the Langhe territory.
Ph. Credits: Roberto Croci
in collaboration with Archivio ATL Cuneese